Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cliché is French, too

After trying, unsuccessfully, to fly under the radar and escape to France without having made a blog, I was called out by none other than FrickAbroad (see http://frickabroadinireland.wordpress.com/) to follow suit.  Hence the birth of my blog.  For those of you who don't speak French, my name means "she/her" in the land of wine, cheese, and cigarettes and I am forced to find another nickname so as not to sound ridiculous when I introduce myself to the French who are critical even when you don't give them a reason to be.

To catch you all up to speed, the itinerary is as follows:
Arrive in Paris August 23...act like a tourist until August 26 when we get herded onto a bus to the capital of Bretagne, Rennes.  Our arrival in the city is the first step to knowing where we will live.  I have no bleeding idea who with/where I am living for the next 4 months.  My best hope is that my host family has little kids so they know how to talk slowly and with a basic vocabulary.  Christmas break will be spent in the company of the beautiful Sarah Chao (see http://europeanchaos.blogspot.com/) - plans are up in the air but Germany was thrown around as a potential destination.  Arrive January 3 in Paris to learn the trade of the chic Parisian women, then fly Home at the end of January kicking and screaming. 

Still to do:
-buy a thoughtful "thanks-for-putting-up-with-an-uncultured-american-for-4-months" gift for my host family. (ideas?)
-master my french expletives so I can curse fluently and not sound "cute" if I want to mean it

C'est tout! For now at least.

1 comment:

  1. this is maddi.

    i think you should give them something local, like salt or a mormon. in minnesota, we give wild rice.

    ooh, i love this blog thing :)

    ReplyDelete